Job Title: Civil Construction Project Planner and Estimator
Job Function: Project Management / Strategy & Planning / Engineering
Experience Level: Senior
Industry Knowledge: Construction Management: Heavy Civil & Highway Street & Bridge
Performs at an advanced level to prepare procurement documents by analyzing and researching requirements for civil construction projects in preparation for procurement activity. Ensures work quality and adherence to established policies, procedures and contracts for heavy civil and highway, street, & bridge construction projects.
The ideal candidate will possess the experience to handle the responsibility and hold the advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for planning and estimate for construction projects. This position will be responsible for project scope of work and independent cost estimate development. This post will require activities and support, both in the field and at worksite locations, to include enforcing compliance with applicable contract provisions.
This position reports to the Executive Team and has no supervisory authority. Professional will participate in the sharing of expert knowledge and as a vital member of various project teams.
Working conditions for this position are in both an office and field setting. Business travel may be required periodically between contract sites, governmental agencies, consulting engineers’ facilities, and other locations as when necessary.
Reviews contracts and bid proposals, work/change orders requests for work requirements and develops scopes of work.
Prepares independent cost estimates for construction activities to include identifying labor, material, and time requirements and computes costs by utilizing data gathered.
Ensures all scopes, policies, and procedures, comply with all applicable procurement and public works laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Develops policies and procedures for project cost control, cost updating, and budget monitoring. Supports the development of cost control and project scheduling skills of project managers.
Coordinates work with the executive team and outside agencies or contractors.
Prepares analytical and statistical reports on facilities operations and activities. Coordinate with relevant staff and contractors regarding their needs and priorities for facilities maintenance and repair.
Prepares a variety of reports and correspondence.
Keep abreast of applicable federal, state, and industry regulations, rules, standards and accepted best practices to assure ongoing awareness and familiarity with all regulatory issues. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Expert knowledgeable in the following areas:
Consideration will be given a combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
- Methods, materials, tools, practices, occupational hazards and safety precautions used in the Construction industry and associated infrastructure and equipment.
- Principles and practices of facility and equipment cost estimating.
- Current office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers.
- Related Federal, State and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Ability to resolve discrepancies through attention to detail and follow through.
- Understands, applies, and implements administrative policies, practices, and procedures.
- Is familiar with office procedures and the maintenance of records.
- Works independently in identifying the need for and developing proposedchanges to operating practices.
- Can create and maintain good working relationships through excellent communication (both oral and written) and teambuilding skills.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with those contacted during work, including outside contractors.
- Is familiar with the relevant codes and regulatory requirements.
- Possesses strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to gather, organize, analyze and present data to appropriate sources, ability to interpret and apply local, state, and federal rules and regulations accurately and efficiently.
- Must be able to manage and maintain simultaneous, transitional, and emerging priorities.
- Must be able to deal tactfully and effectively with contractors, the public, and public officials; the ability to assist in coordinating the design work of facilities projects with other professionals; and the ability to prepare and supervise the preparation of adequate and accurate controls, records, and reports.
Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management and bachelor’s degree in engineering Discipline required. Master’s Degree Preferred.
Minimum (10) years directly relevant experience in Construction Project Development Management, and cost estimating required.
Government Contracting Experience a plus.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the vital functions.
The employee must possess the ability to use the phone and computer for extended periods, manual dexterity to complete clerical functions and work with office equipment, and lift items up to 25 pounds daily.
The employee must be able to hear, see, and communicate verbally to exchange information.
The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations, work in evenings when required, work in hazardous conditions, and negotiate a variety of different and irregular terrain.
The employee may be subject to fumes, odors, dust, gases, and chemicals. The employee must be able to walk, climb, balance, bend, carry, push, reach, sit, and stand.
Machines / Tools / Equipment
Ability to operate a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite programs.
Ability to operate standard office equipment, including a fax and scanner machine, copy machine, and telephone.
Ability to carry and operate an on-call device.
Email Resume and Salary requirements to: email@example.com